The Fair Housing Center (Toledo, OH)
The Fair Housing Center is seeking an exceptional Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead a team of passionate staff and partner with the Board of Directors. This individual must have a growth mindset and be fully committed to our core values and the mission to eliminate discriminatory housing practices. This is a position for an innovative, action-oriented leader.
About the Fair Housing Center
Founded on the principles of community, tolerance, and justice, The Fair Housing Center was established in 1975 to assist victims of housing discrimination. The Women of the Old West End, The League of Women Voters, and several other concerned citizens and community groups organized to fight blockbusting and other discriminatory practices that were destroying Toledo’s neighborhoods.
Throughout its history, the Center has operated as one of the most progressive and effective proponents of fair housing, leading national efforts and setting precedents that have markedly improved the quality of life for millions of Americans. Our staff is fully engaged with conducting workshops for fair housing organizations, housing industry professionals, and local government agencies.
The Fair Housing Center is a nonprofit civil rights agency dedicated to the elimination of housing discrimination, the promotion of housing choice, and the creation of inclusive communities of opportunity. To achieve our mission, the center engages in education and outreach, housing counseling, advocacy for anti-discriminatory housing policies, research and investigation, and enforcement actions.
The Fair Housing Center will be a leading visible force in preventing and correcting discriminatory practices.
Our Core Values
We Value Responsibility and Accountability
We Value Integrity
We Value Community
We Value Diversity
We Value Excellence
We Value Service
CEO Job Description
The President/CEO is the general operating manager and senior executive for The Fair Housing Center (TFHC). Responsible for implementing programs to eliminate discriminatory housing practices, increase self-sufficiency for historically under-served populations, and expand equal and open housing opportunities. S/he will oversee the marketing, public policy efforts, community affairs, and communications activities of the organization. Responsible for supervising all staff and ensuring adherence to agency policies and procedures. Duties also include providing consultation and educational services, goal-setting, fiscal management, budget development, Board/staff liaison, policy development and implementation, strategic planning, and resource development.
The President/CEO will have demonstrated experience or knowledge in enforcement, fair housing, fundraising, program management, staff and financial management, as well as a successful track record working with a Board of Directors and volunteers. S/he is a leader with excellent communication skills, including writing, speaking, meeting facilitation, and consensus building. S/he is professional, visionary, entrepreneurial, and has a passion for the mission of the agency. The President/CEO is a person who has cultural competency and the ability to engage in strategic decision-making in addition to day-to-day management.
• Report to the Board (through its Chairperson) and maintain effective contact with the entire Board of Directors.
• Engages with the Board of Directors in strategic, business, and sustainable funding plans.
• Develop and implement policies and procedures consistent with the direction of the Board of Directors.
• Present budget proposals to the Board through its Finance Committee; oversee expenditures for adherence to the established budget and fiscal policies.
• Explore and implement new revenue streams to ensure financial viability.
• Provide leadership for legislative and government affairs activities.
• Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with relevant governmental bodies, (City of Toledo Department of Neighborhoods, Plan Commission, HUD, Department of Justice, etc.) to promote the agency’s activities.
• Actively participate with local, state, and national organizations to advance the effectiveness of programs and to enhance public image.
• Supervise and evaluate senior level staff; provide guidance on administrative, budgetary, programmatic, and operational issues.
• Develop and maintain effective contact with media representatives, business, government, social service organizations, and neighborhood groups in order to increase the awareness of goals and programs.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Enforcement and broad fair housing knowledge and experience required. Must exhibit a strong commitment to the goals and objectives of fair housing and fair lending and be able to fully support the mission of TFHC.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required; Advanced Degree preferred.
• Minimum of five (5) years experience in executive management with increasing levels of responsibilities.
• Demonstrated successes in fundraising, grant writing, and grant management.
• Proven ability to supervise and administer staff.
• Experience and knowledge to develop, implement, and monitor budgets.
• Demonstrated experience in engaging with the Board of Directors.
• Experience in planning, visioning, and developing partnerships and coalitions.
• A persuasive communicator with excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package that is commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and resume, examples of written and oral communications, and salary expectations to Cindy Taylor at email@example.com by August 31, 2018.
The Fair Housing Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.