The Fair Housing Center approaches fair housing in a holistic manner by providing education and enforcing fair housing laws. The mission of the Center is carried out through a variety of efforts. The Center conducts multiple educational outreach programs, provides housing counseling services, advocates for the rights of victims, investigates and litigates allegations of housing discrimination, and facilitates neighborhood tours. Following is a listing of the Center’s current activities and services.
Discrimination isn’t just unfair. It isn’t just destructive and humiliating. Discrimination is illegal. The Fair Housing Center is here to protect people who experience discrimination. The Center has effectively handled thousands of housing discrimination complaints since 1975. If you suspect that housing discrimination has occurred, contact The Fair Housing Center immediately. The Fair Housing Center works closely with government agencies at all levels and with private attorneys to ensure that fair housing laws are vigorously enforced. All of The Fair Housing Center’s counseling and investigative services are free.
If you feel you’ve been treated unfairly, take the following steps:
- Contact the The Fair Housing Center.
- Keep all receipts, business cards, applications or other documents received during the transaction.
- Write down the events as they happen. Include dates, names, telephone numbers, addresses and other important details.
Consumer Complaint Assistance
- Advocating for persons whose rights have been violated
- Influencing public opinion about fair housing through education
- Investigating allegations of housing discrimination
- Providing Technical Assistance with housing related inquiries
- Mediating Complaints
- Testing Complaints
- Referring consumers to other agencies for assistance when appropriate
- Filing complaints (administrative and legal)
- Enforcing Fair Housing Laws
- Resolving Complaints (complaint redress)
- Monitoring Complaints
The Fair Housing Center has some emergency mortgage assistance grants available to qualifying individuals and families. Some of the criteria are listed in the PDF files below. Call us today at 419-243-6163 to see if you qualify for assistance. Grant programs will stop when funding is no longer available. The Fair Housing Center is a nonprofit organization that offers free and confidential services.
Restoring the Dream
Restoring the Dream is a predatory lending remediation program designed to help homeowners who are experiencing problems with their loan and may be facing foreclosure. The Fair Housing Center has been working with homeowners with their programs for several years; our staff are experienced in loan modification and mortgage rescue programs.
The Fair Housing Center provides a variety of important services:
- Work with current mortgage holders to negotiate loan balances or eliminate fees and excessive charges.
- Perform intake and triage services for the Ohio Hardest-hit funds which provide assistance to homeowners to catch up their arrearage and potentially pay a portion of their mortgage payments for a period of time if unemployed.
- Provide loan and financial counseling
EDUCATION & OUTREACH
How do we make a difference?
- Providing technical assistance to consumers, housing providers, and others.
- Assisting with senior housing certification
- Hosting Home buying seminars
- Distributing fair housing materials
- Conducting affirmative marketing programs
- Sponsoring neighborhood tours for housing industry professionals
- Training people to become testers
- Operating a resource library for members of the National Fair Housing Alliance